Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Wish I Drove an Unmarked Police Car

I normally wouldn't post twice in one day, except today I am really really peeved about this. You got any thoughts about it.... throw them out there for me...

I went to pick up child #5 from the Mother's Day Out at a local church in our small rural town (see previous post). On the way, I drive right through town, which has a 40mph speed limit and one stoplight on a two lane state highway. Obviously, living in Tennessee, the area has a few hills, so there are some areas on the main road which happen to have a solid yellow "no pass" line.

As I am driving along, I notice a dark colored pickup truck that is tailgating me severely. If I had a hitch, I swear he would have just hitched up for the ride. I was doing exactly 40mph. I really wanted to hit my brakes and scare him into backing off, but before I could.....

he passed me.....

obviously going faster than the posted 40mph....

on a solid yellow line.....

as he is beside me I am tempted to honk my horn and give that special wave to indicate that the speed limit is 40mph, but I have tinted windows and so did he, so he probably wouldn't have seen me.

which is when I notice the license plate.....

is a Tennessee JUDICIARY plate!

I was furious! Now, I realize it may not have been a judge him/herself. Their families are also entitled to judiciary plates. And I don't expect any member of the judiciary to be perfect. But really? If you are going to advertise that you are judiciary, shouldn't you behave accordingly? Or are you hoping your judicial plate will get you out of that ticket for speeding and illegal passing? I mean, judges are subject to the ABA Model Code for Judicial Conduct, which specifically states in Canon 1:
"RULE 1.1
Compliance with the Law
A judge shall comply with the law,* including the Code of Judicial Conduct.
RULE 1.2
Promoting Confidence in the Judiciary
A judge shall act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the independence,* integrity,* and impartiality* of the judiciary, and shall avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety."
And if you go to the definitional section:
“Law” encompasses court rules as well as statutes, constitutional provisions, and decisional law.
“Impropriety” includes conduct that violates the law, court rules, or provisions of this Code, and conduct that undermines a judge’s independence, integrity, or impartiality.
“Integrity” means probity, fairness, honesty, uprightness, and soundness of character.

Pretty sure that all means that judges are still held to obey the laws....

Maybe even to a higher standard than the rest of us common folk....

Including traffic laws....

So... driver of the dark colored pickup with the Tennessee Judiciary Plate #J124.....
If I find out who you are, you can bet your black robed bottom I will file a complaint about it.

5 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

Hey- I came for the vodka latte, and ended up reading a great post! THANKS!!!

Twisted Lisa said...

That burns me up. Monday I was in my car behind a stopped school bus letting kids out. The guy behind me started to pass me and the BUS and kept creeping around me even though I blew my horn...So I pulled out in front of him blocking the road. Jackasses.

Lipstick said...

OMG, Legal Diva! That is so scary! Can you file a complaint since you have the license plate?

Hey Twisted Lisa-I love that you pulled in the road to protect the kids getting off the bus!

Legal Diva said...

I've checked around and I can't find any way to figure out which judge it was by the plate number other than getting a police officer to check it, which would be against their rules. Frustrating!
I guess I could go down to the courthouse and stalk around until I saw the truck- or until security arrests me for it. :)

Ash said...

Oops - he picked the wrong smart lady to pass.

LOVE it! What are the libel laws like in Tennessee? We could all do a nasti-o-gram to his office.

Go get'em tiger!

Em