Monday, November 24, 2008

Free at Last...

Well, I'm not really free... but my kids are. I recently learned that my parenting style is considered "Free-Range". That would be the opposite of "Helicopter". Its the difference between hovering over your children and allowing them freedom without constant supervision. As some of you may realize by now I have 5 children. The oldest is 12 nearly 13, and the youngest just turned 4. If I tried to watch them all at all times I'd either have to tie them together or have x-ray vision to see through walls. It would be impossible!

At age 7 I walked to school alone, stayed home alone after school, and rode my bike alone to the donut shop on Saturdays. When I was 12 I took the bus to the mall for the day or downtown to hang around the history museums. By the time I was 14 or 15 I rode my bike with my backpack of overnight clothes nearly 30 miles down country roads to my grandparents house- in an entirely different state!!! So, ever since I heard all the fuss on the Today Show about Lenore over at Free Range Kids, and how she let her 9 year old ride the subway home alone, I've been stalking.... ummm... following her blog. She has some great ideas. And I especially enjoy the comments from other parents. If you have children, no matter if you are helicopter or free-range, you should check her out. She isn't nearly as drastic as everyone makes her out to be. She was recently on the Dr. Phil show, and they are re-airing that episode on Thanksgiving Day- which may be the perfect time to watch because we all know the kids are going to be running around unsupervised with their cousins while the adults drink spiked eggnog so they don't maime or injure their in-laws.

So... along with my kids being free from my constant supervision, they will also be free from school after tomorrow. Until next week. I love holidays, but why do they have to cancel school? Oh, yeah... so that Vodka Mom over at I Need a Martini Mom can get a break and have some vodka martinis too. God bless you for your service to our children... your martinis are well deserved. (By the way, I tried some martinis made with blueberry vodka and they taste like blueberry muffins... dangerous stuff)Also, I am feeling pretty free. And No... I didn't confront friend's jackass husband. I will lie in wait and suprise him later. I actually got more awards!!! From Tova Darling... who has a perfectly evil mother-in-law (if you thought yours was bad check this one out!). She also has a secret identity since her name is not really Tova or Darling. She actually has a journalism degree, and felt it fit to bestow upon me the following awards:

The Superior Scribbler Award, which you can read about here....


She also bestowed upon me this award....Which translates as "This blog invests and believes in proximity" (meaning, that blogging makes us 'close'-being close through proxy). Or, if as Tova Darling believes, it translates however you like... then I think mine translates as "You are the hottest mother of 5 children and your brain power and ability in law school is freakin amazing"..... at least thats what I'm pretending it says...

And last she gave me this one of Marie Antionette...


Which is a really beautiful picture. MA was married at age 14 and later executed by her husband. It reminds me to tell you all that if you have not seen The Other Boleyn Girl, you should watch it. Mental Note: do not watch with small children- there are some fairly vivid sexually intimate scenes... and Eric Bana is pretty hot.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

5 kids????? OMG I would die! lol I go nuts with 3 dogs! lol!!! *mental note to self....if wife still wants kids in the future remind her that she is only getting two out of me and SHE is staying home with me to raise them!!! So we better be friggin rich! :)

Victoria Von Swarovski said...

Oh I'm glad too,
And it's cool that you give your kids space, I think there are lots of things they need to learn on their own that people don't realize.
I could never handle 5 that's for sure.

Victoria Von Swarovski said...

Haha I am glad you liked it.
There's no reason to think my own personal style doesnt irritate the whole world.
But it doesn't mean I won't rag on theirs!

Vodka Mom said...

I am Free, as well.

LOVE your awards. congrats.

happy turkey day!!

Lipstick said...

Love the story about your second generation Free Range kids! I am so Helicopter which is really a giant leap for me since my parents were Piggyback. (new term, coined by me. Defn: Helicopter on steroids).